SEO Pricing: How Much Does SEO Cost in 2023?
How much SEO costs depends on your business’s size, your service provider’s pricing model, and a few other factors. In 2023, SEO prices range from $1500-$7500 per month to $100-$150 per hour to $5000-$35,000 per project. Keep reading to learn more about SEO pricing, including estimated costs based on your business’s size, industry, and more!
Preview real SEO prices and plans
Get a preview of how much SEO can cost withWebFX’s SEO plans。
Browse our prices below, or keep reading tolearn more about SEO prices。
150 keyphrases optimized
30 pages optimized
6 content, outreach, UX, or CRO assets per quarter
8 custom dashboards
Phone call, lead, and revenue tracking dashboard
200 keyphrases optimized
40 pages optimized
12 content, outreach, UX, or CRO assets per quarter
8 custom dashboards
Phone call, lead, and revenue tracking dashboard
300 keyphrases optimized
60 pages optimized
24 content, outreach, UX, or CRO assets per quarter
10 custom dashboards
Phone call, lead, and revenue tracking dashboard
Learn the basics of SEO pricing
Get quick answers to common SEO pricing questions below:
Last Updated May 1, 2023
- How much does SEO cost?
- How much does SEO cost for specialized SEO services?
- What determines SEO pricing?
- What should SEO services include?
- What are the SEO pricing models?
- Which SEO pricing model is the best?
How much does SEO cost?
In 2023, SEO costs (on average) $1500-$7500 per month, $100-$150 per hour, or $5000-$35,000 per project. How much you pay for SEO will depend on your SEO service provider, business size, project scope, and other factors related to your business and provider.
Table of Contents
- Learn the Basics of SEO Pricing
- Why is SEO So Expensive?
- Compare SEO Prices by Size, Provider, Location, and More
- Is It Worth Paying for SEO?
- 你爸爸多少钱y for SEO?
- Learn What You Get by Paying for SEO
- See Real SEO Pricing
- Get Expert Advice on How to Research SEO Costs
- Request Custom SEO Pricing
- FAQs About SEO Pricing
How much does SEO cost for specialized SEO services?
SEO costs for specialized SEO services, like ecommerce SEO services or SEO audit services, vary:
|SEO service||SEO cost (Hourly)||SEO cost (Monthly)||SEO cost (Project)|
|Ecommerce SEO||$200 – $600||$750 – $8000||$2000 – $35,000|
|Local SEO||$100 – $150||$300 – $2000||$1500 – $35,000|
|SEO audit||N/A||N/A||$650 – $14,000|
What determines SEO pricing?
Several factors determine SEO pricing, including:
- Agency, contractor, or consultant’s experience
- Agency, contractor, or consultant’s location
- SEO pricing model, like monthly or hourly
- Business size, like startup or enterprise
- Scale of SEO strategy
- Status of existing SEO strategy, like your backlink profile’s strength
- SEO goals
- And more
You’ll often find that the more experienced SEO providers, from agencies to consultants, have higher search engine optimization prices. Similarly, an SEO strategy with a bigger scale, like an enterprise-level plan, will see higher SEO costs.
What should SEO services include?
SEO servicesshould include the following:
- SEO audit
- SEO reporting
- On-page, off-page, or technical SEO optimizations
They should also include what your business requires. That’s why many SEO service providers (WebFX included) will create custom SEO packages. At WebFX, for example, we structure these plans to meet your unique needs, from your preferred involvement level to yourkey performance indicators (KPIs)。
What are the SEO pricing models?
Whether you’re looking to provide or buy SEO services, there are a few SEO pricing models to know:
|Pricing model||Average cost||Overview||Offered by|
|Monthly||$1,500 – $7,500||Pay a monthly retainer for SEO services performed.||Agencies
|Hourly||$100 – $150||Pay an hourly fee for SEO services performed.||Freelancers
|Project-based||$5,000 – $35,000||Pay a fixed fee for completing a specified project, like an SEO audit.||Agencies
|In-house||$55,000 – $75,000 per team member||Pay all costs for maintaining a full-time, part-time, or contract-based SEO team.||N/A|
Which SEO pricing model is the best?
There is no right answer when it comes to choosing an SEO pricing model. The best payment plan will depend on your business and its SEO needs. That’s why we’ve compiled each plan’s best use cases and some examples of how businesses use those plans:
|Pricing model||Best for||Example|
Small, midsized, and large companies
|A business looking to grow its organic search visibility, traffic, and revenue|
|Hourly||Smaller SEO projects
|A small business looking to investigate a drop in traffic following a redesign|
|Project-based||One-time SEO projects
Small, midsized, and large companies
|A business looking to improve its sitewide page speed|
|A Fortune 500 company looking to grow its online presence for short-tail keywords|
Compare SEO prices by size, provider, location, and more
Get more insight into SEO costs by comparing SEO prices by business size, location, provider, and more!
SEO costs by business size
当涉及到SEO costs and business size, larger companies will often pay more for SEO:
|Business Size||SEO cost (Hourly)||SEO cost (Monthly)||SEO cost (Project)|
|Startup||$75 – $100||$750 – $1,500||$2,500 – $5,000|
|Small Business||$100 – $150||$1,500 – $4,500||$5,000 – $50,000|
|Mid-Sized Business||$100 – $150||$2,500 – $7,500||$9,999 – $75,000|
|Enterprise||$100 – $150||$5,000 – $10,000+||$25,000 – $250,000|
Why do larger businesses have higher SEO optimization costs? A few reasons, including:
- Reputation:A company’s brand is invaluable — especially when that brand is well-known. That’s why larger businesses will partner with established SEO providers (who have higher SEO rates) vs. younger SEO companies or consultants (who have lower SEO prices).
- Complexity:Larger organizations often have more complexity, from approval processes to unique website builds. That’s why they’ll often partner withenterprise-level SEO providers。These providers have enough experience working with larger brands to deliver a custom and effectiveSEO program。
- Scale:Compared to smaller businesses, larger companies operate on a bigger scale. From more products to more markets, they need a partner that can meet their SEO needs, and for that, they often need an SEO company that specializes inenterprise SEO— which costs more.
What this means is experience and capabilities matter in search engine optimization pricing. You will pay more for those benefits if you want tohire an SEO providerwith more experience, resources, and capabilities.
SEO costs by provider
Learn how SEO costs change based on who you hire, an agency, consultant, contractor, or freelancer:
|Service provider||SEO cost (Hourly)||SEO cost (Monthly)||SEO cost (Project)|
|Agency||$150 – $300||$1500 – $7500||$7500 – $30,000|
|Consultant||$100 – $150||$1500 – $5000||$5000 – $30,000|
|Contractor||$100 – $150||$2500 – $5000||$5000 – $30,000|
|Freelancer||$75 – $100||$750 – $1500||$5000 – $15,000|
Compared to other service providers, SEO agencies cost more. Why? A few reasons, including:
- Capabilities:With more team members and tools, search engine optimization companies can do more than other SEO service providers. Using WebFX as an example, your business can access SEOs, web developers, reporting software, and more — everything you need to do SEO.
- Experience:SEO agencies will also have more knowledge that you can put to work. If your business needs anSEO expert, plus an ecommerce SEO specialist, for instance, an SEO company can often meet those needs. For a consultant, freelancer, or contractor, that’s more difficult.
- Scalability:Most SEO companies can scale with a business’s SEO needs. That’s convenient because your organization doesn’t have to hire a new SEO agency. Instead, you can upgrade your SEO plan to start capturing more traffic. In comparison, other SEO providers can’t do that.
Multiple factors will determine whether your business partners with an agency, consultant, contractor, or freelancer — and pays their SEO prices. Besides cost, you’ll also need to consider what you want to accomplish with SEO, how involved you want to be in SEO, and what else you need from a provider.
SEO costs by location
Get a breakdown of average SEO costs by location below:
|Country||SEO cost (Hourly)||SEO cost (Monthly)||SEO cost (Project)|
|Australia||$100 – $150||$1500 – $7500||$9,999 – $50,000|
|Canada||$100 – $150||$1500 – $7500||$9,999 – $50,000|
|India||Less than $25||$250 – $750||$9,999 – $50,000|
|United Kingdom||$100 – $150||$1500 – $7500||$9,999 – $50,000|
|United States||$100 – $150||$1500 – $7500||$25,000 – $75,000|
当涉及到SEO, India is well-known for providing lower SEO prices. Compared to the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, or Australia, India has a lower cost of living and labor costs, allowing SEO companies in India to offer lower SEO rates.
While pricing is important in choosing an SEO provider, your provider’s location also matters.
For example, suppose you work with an SEO company in a different country. In that case, you might need to consider differences in data privacy laws, time zones, and culture and how those differences will affect your SEO performance.
SEO costs by industry
Learn what SEO costs by industry with this breakdown:
|Industry||SEO cost (Hourly)||SEO cost (Monthly)||SEO cost (Project)|
|Advertising and marketing||$100 – $150||$1500 – $7500||$9,999 – $50,000|
|Arts, entertainment, and music||$100 – $150||$1500 – $7500||$5,000 – $50,000|
|Automotive||$100 – $150||$1500 – $7500||$25,000 – $75,000|
|Business services||$100 – $200||$1500 – $7500||$25,000 – $75,000|
|Consumer products and services||$100 – $200||$1500 – $7500||$9,999 – $50,000|
|Ecommerce||$100 – $150||$1500 – $7500||$9,999 – $50,000|
|Education||$150 – $200||$2500 – $7500||$75,000 – $250,000|
|Energy||$100 – $150||$1500 – $7500||$25,000 – $75,000|
|Finance||$100 – $150||$1500 – $7500||$9,999 – $50,000|
|Government||$100 – $150||$1500 – $7500||$25,000 – $75,000|
|Hospitality||$100 – $150||$1500 – $7500||$9,999 – $50,000|
|Information technology||$100 – $150||$1500 – $7500||$9,999 – $50,000|
|Legal||$100 – $150||$1500 – $7500||$5,000 – $25,000|
|Manufacturing||$100 – $150||$1500 – $7500||$9,999 – $50,000|
|Medical||$100 – $150||$1500 – $7500||$5,000 – $50,000|
|Non-profit||$100 – $150||$1500 – $7500||$5,000 – $25,000|
|Real estate||$100 – $150||$1500 – $7500||$5,000 – $25,000|
|Retail||$100 – $150||$1500 – $7500||$5,000 – $25,000|
|Telecommunications||$100 – $150||$1500 – $7500||$9,999 – $50,000|
|Transportation and logistics||$100 – $150||$1500 – $7500||$9,999 – $50,000|
Learn what you get by paying for SEO
You know how much SEO costs, but what does paying for SEO get you? Find out below!
- What do monthly SEO services include?
- What do hourly SEO services include?
- What do project-based SEO services include?
What do monthly SEO services include?
Monthly SEO services usually include the most deliverables, like:
- SEO audit
- Analytics setup and/or verification
- Keyword research
- Content creation
- On-page optimizations
- Off-page optimizations
- Technical optimizations
When you invest in monthly SEO, you can accomplish goals like:
- Growing search engine optimization’s ROI via continuous SEO
- Keeping pace with competitors, algorithm changes, and more
In some cases, monthly SEO services will specialize in specific on-page or off-page areas, like:
- Link building
- Content creation
- Page speed improvements
What do hourly SEO services include?
Typically, hourly SEO services will include deliverables like:
- SEO audit
- SEO recommendations and/or implementation
When you invest in hourly SEO, you can accomplish goals like:
- Completing SEO maintenance tasks
- Monitoring for SEO issues
What do project-based SEO services include?
Deliverables for project-based SEO services vary widely, but some common SEO projects include:
- SEO audit
- Project-specific optimizations, like link building
When you invest in project-based SEO, you can accomplish goals like:
- Completing a larger initiative, like migrating a website to a new domain
- Getting recommendations on how to achieve a goal, like improving sitewide page speed
Ready to see some real SEO pricing? View WebFX’s SEO packages
You’ve explored SEO prices for different pricing plans, industries, and company sizes, but what about prices from an actual SEO service provider? Get a preview of what SEO costs — and what those costs include — by viewingWebFX’s SEO packagesbelow:
|Number of keyphrases optimized (Keyphrases with less than 1M results)||Up to 150||Up to 200||Up to 250||Up to 300||Custom|
|Pages Optimized||Up to 30||Up to 40||Up to 50||Up to 60||Custom|
|Technical Website Analysis & Opportunity Report||Custom|
|Keyword research & selection||Custom|
|Keyword mapping to target pages||Custom|
|Title Tags & Meta descriptions||Custom|
|XML sitemap creation & submission||Custom|
|Quarterly Earned Media Content Assets – Content, Linkbuilding, Consulting, or CRO Assets||6 Content, Outreach, UX, or CRO Assets||12 Content, Outreach, UX, or CRO Assets||15 Content, Outreach, UX, or CRO Assets||24 Content, Outreach, UX, or CRO Assets||Custom|
|Google Business Profile optimization (if needed)||Custom|
|Information architecture audit||Custom|
|Initial external link analysis and disavow||Custom|
|Link redirect audit||Custom|
|Internal linking restructuring & optimization||Custom|
|Duplicate content analysis||Custom|
|Header Tags Optimized (Ex. H1s)||Custom|
|Setup of website sitemap||Custom|
|Custom 404 error page setup and optimization||Custom|
|Schema Implementation (JSON-LD)||Custom|
|Google Analytics setup w/ conversion tracking||Custom|
|Google Analytics traffic analysis||Custom|
|Google Data Studio Reporting Dashboard Setup||8 dashboards||8 dashboards||10 dashboards||10 dashboards||Custom|
|Initial visitor profile report||Custom|
|Ongoing quarterly keyword ranking reporting||Custom|
|Ongoing monthly traffic, goal & CPL reporting||Custom|
|Ongoing user experience reporting (bounce rate, device category, etc.)||Custom|
|Ongoing quarterly competitor conquest reports||Custom|
|Keyword rank checker access with weekly updates (if requested)||Custom|
|Ability to check location data accuracy across 40+ local directories||Custom|
|A/B Testing of SERP title & description to improve clickthrough||Custom|
|Notification of new reviews (major review platforms)||Custom|
|Analyze your leads to project the # of leads competitors receive on a monthly basis||Custom|
|Predict your and your competitors’ market share on a monthly basis||Custom|
|Competitor intelligence login to view competitor data||Custom|
|Dedicated Internet Marketer||Custom|
|Online Project Management Platform||Custom|
|450+ SMEs behind campaign driving results||Custom|
|Website conversion analysis implementation||Custom||Custom||Custom||Custom||Custom|
|Initial campaign investment:(Two month duration)||$7,750||$12,750||$15,750||$18,750||Get Quote|
|Progressive monthly optimization:(6 month commitment – Subsequent 4 months)||$2,500||$5,000||$6,500||$8,000||Get Quote|
Need more information? Call Us: 888-601-5359
|GET STARTED||GET STARTED||GET STARTED||GET STARTED||GET STARTED|
Get expert advice on how to research SEO costs
Learn how to make SEO pricing work for you with these bite-sized how-to walkthroughs:
- How to set an SEO budget
- How to choose an SEO payment plan
- How to evaluate SEO prices
- How to spot cheap SEO pricing
- How to request custom SEO pricing
How to set an SEO budget
Create a realistic SEO budget for your business with these steps:
- Review your budget allocations:First, learn how your businessallocates its marketing budget.How much is available for search engine optimization? Depending on what you find, you may need to get buy-in for a bigger piece of your company’s marketing spend.
- Outline your requirements:Think about your goals, preferring outsourcing level, and provider type to get started. You should also consider location since that affects SEO pricing — do you want to outsource your SEO to a different country?
- Evaluate your SEO:Next, determine how much work your provider will need to do to start pushing toward yourSEO goals。Does your site have a strong backlink profile or weak on-page SEO, for example? Use afree SEO toollike Screaming Frog to get started on this step.
- Determine your preferred budget:Use your research to build your desired budget. For example, if you want to partner with a U.S-based agency for hourly SEO, your business will likely need a monthly spend of $6000 (if requesting 40 hours of work per month).
- Make your pitch:If needed, prepare a pitch for your budget proposal. Your pitch should demonstrate SEO’s potential bottom-line benefits, like attracting more qualified leads or driving more online sales, plus the advantages of outsourcing your SEO.
How to choose an SEO payment plan
Choose the best SEO payment plan for your business with these steps:
- Determine your SEO needs:What does your company want to accomplish with SEO? For example, do you want to fix a specific issue, like improving your page speed? Or do you want to build and maintain an ongoing SEO strategy?
- Outline your timeline:Next, build your preferred timeline. Are you migrating your site to a new domain in the next 30 days and need an SEO’s feedback? Or are you looking to optimize your website over time?
- Check your SEO budget:Research how much your organization has budgeted for SEO and when those funds are available. For example, does your business release department funds annually, quarterly, or monthly? Your answer will influence your payment plan options for SEO services.
- Choose your plan:Based on your research, determine the best option for your business. For ongoing or long-term SEO projects, consider monthly SEO. In comparison, check out hourly or project-based SEO for short- or one-time SEO projects.
How to evaluate SEO prices
Evaluate a service provider’s SEO prices with these steps:
- Review the plan deliverables:First, learn what you’re paying for by reviewing the deliverables. If what you’re getting for the price you’re paying seems too good to be true, it probably is — and you’ll often see this with cheaper SEO prices.
- Ask questions:Meet with the agency, consultant, or freelancer to discuss their pricing. Does the provider charge overtime, for example, after a certain number of hours worked on the account? What other additional fees should your team know about?
- Read the contract:Next, read the contract. Most providers will share a contract once you enter discussions with them. You’ll want to check for a few things, like whether you’re receiving a short-term promotional price and whether the agency can change rates without notice.
How to spot cheap SEO pricing
Spot cheap SEO pricing with these steps:
- Look at the price:First, look at the price. When SEO costs less than $500 per month or less than $50 per hour, it’s often cheap SEO. Most providers offering cheap SEO will advertise their prices, like “SEO for $100 / mo.”
- Check the deliverables:You can also spot cheap search engine optimization pricing by looking at the deliverables. Compare the deliverables to the price, and if it seems too good to be true, restart your search for SEO services. Alternatively, some low-cost SEO plans won’t share their deliverables at all.
- Read the reviews:What do people say about this SEO company, consultant, or freelancer online? Is the trend mostly negative, positive, or somewhere in between? Look at the most common complaints and see if they relate to results, quality of work, or client satisfaction.
How to request custom SEO pricing
Request custom SEO pricing for your business with these steps:
- Outline your requirements:Get the most accurate quote by listing your requirements, like whether you’re looking for full-service SEO or something more specific, like off-page SEO. You can even include anything you don’t want in your SEO plan.
- Research your options:Optimize your time by limiting your SEO pricing requests to your top picks. Read reviews and case studies to see if an agency, consultant, or freelancer is a good fit for your team. Then, contact them with your request and requirements.
- Meet your potential provider:Schedule some time with your potential SEO provider. They’ll use this time to ask you some follow-up questions to understand your business better so they can build an accurate quote for your team.
Looking for SEO pricing? Get a custom quote today!
Congrats! You know how much SEO costs, what determines SEO pricing, and how to evaluate SEO prices. If you’re looking to get pricing custom to your business and its unique SEO needs,request yours todayand receive a custom strategy, flight plan, and pricing from the WebFX team!
FAQs about SEO pricing
Get answers to FAQs about SEO pricing now:
How much does SEO cost per month?
On average, SEO costs $1500 to $7500 per month. How much your business pays for monthly SEO will depend on several factors, including your company’s size, your service provider’s location, and your SEO package’s deliverables. For the most accurate monthly SEO pricing, request a custom quote.
How much does SEO cost per hour?
On average, SEO costs $100 to $150 per hour. How much your business pays for hourly SEO will depend on several factors, like your service provider’s experience, SEO plan deliverables, and resources. For the most accurate hourly SEO rates, request custom pricing.
How much does SEO cost per project?
On average, SEO costs $5000 to $35,000 per project. How much your business pays for project-based SEO will depend on several factors, like your project’s requirements, size, and deadlines. Your service provider’s experience, location, and resources can also influence your project-based SEO costs.
How much does SEO cost to do in-house?
On average, in-house SEO costs $55,000 to $75,000 — the annual salary of an SEO specialist with benefits, like taxes and insurance. How much your business invests in doing SEO in-house will depend on your company’s location, candidate requirements, and SEO program size.
Does WebFX offer custom SEO pricing?
Yes! WebFX provides pre-built SEO packages and custom SEO pricing starting at $3,000 per month.
What is SEO?
SEO, also calledsearch engine optimization, refers to strategies that help improve your website’s visibility in organic search results. These strategies include keyword research, content creation, and more.
What are the most important SEO factors?
Here’s a break down of some of the most important SEO factors to pay attention to if you want toincrease your site’s rankings in search results。
- Add keywords to your URLs, page titles,meta descriptions, headings, and site content:当搜索机器人爬行你的网站,他们寻找keywords to identify the topic of your content. This helps them display your site in relevant search results. Ultimately, when your site ranks higher in search results, more people can find and contact your business.
- Optimize alt attributes: You will also want to add alt tags to your multimedia. Since search engines can’t “read” multimedia elements, you need to include alt tags — text descriptions of your multimedia. This gives helps search engines betterunderstand and indexyour multimedia content.
- Update your content regularly: Site visitors and search engines alike love freshly updated, quality content. Keeping your site updated on a regular basis will keep visitors and search bots coming back for more. Regular site updates can also help you establish yourself as a leader in your industry.
- Optimize technical site elements: You can also take some time to optimize technical elements of your site like your coding andpage speed。清理你的代码,并确保你的page loads at top speeds can boost your rankings in search results and encourage people to spend more time on your site This year, page speed will also become a major mobile search factor, so you need to ensure your site loads quickly across a number of devices.
- Implement responsive design: In order to improve user-friendliness, you’ll want to implement responsive design. With responsive design, you can ensure that your site looks great and performs well, no matter the device a visitor uses to access it. In other words, responsive design allows smartphone, desktop, and tablet users to have the same great experience on your site.
- Streamline navigation: Search engines want to reward sites that provide great experiences for visitors. To make sure people can find the information they need on your site, you’ll want to streamline your navigation. Instead of cluttering your navigation with links, only link to the most important pages. From there, you can link out to other pages deeper in your site.
- Answer users’ questions:You’ll also want to make sure your site provides valuable answers to visitors’ questions. You can do this by creating custom content. Be sure to conduct keyword research to discover trending topics in your industry, and publish fresh content to answer questions and improve users’ experience on your site.
If you want to improve your rankings in search results for keywords related to your business, paying attention to and optimizing these SEO factors is a great place to start. However, keep in mind that SEO isn’t a set-it-and-forget-it strategy. In other words,it takes some time to see results, but they’re well worth the wait!
Why is SEO important?
Why do you want to rank at the top of search results? The answer is simple.
Since75% of peopledon’t look past the first page of first results. This means that if you want more customers to find and contact your business, you need to rank in top search results for keywords and phrases related to your business.
Moral of the story? The higher you rank in search results, the more people will find and visit your site. This means that you can reach more customers and earn more revenue for your business.